What is a Bridal Portrait?
A Bridal Portrait is a really fun Southern tradition. It is a picture of the bride in her full wedding day attire (dress, veil, hair, makeup, jewelry, and bouquet) taken 1-2 months before the wedding and is typically displayed at the wedding reception.
You can think of your Bridal Portrait as a dress rehearsal for the “Big Day”. You get the opportunity to trial run your hairstyle and makeup, it is good practice in front of the camera, and it allows you to wear your dress more than once! Many times, brides will change something about their wedding day look after the bridal session. Sometimes they don’t like the way their hairstyle looked with the veil, or their shoes were too high, or their makeup wasn’t quite right. Each time, the bride was able to make those adjustments before the wedding day - all thanks to the Bridal Portrait!
Where does a Bridal Portrait take place?
Your Bridal Portrait can take place in any location that has the atmosphere that you are looking for. You can go for a sophisticated feeling, or urban, rustic, romantic, etc. Many brides also choose to have their Bridal Portrait session at their wedding reception venue. We can help you decide on the perfect place for your Portrait.
What should I bring with me?
1. The most important thing you will need is an assistant! Bring your mom, bridesmaid, or a friend to help you during your session. You will need someone to help you, get you water, and fluff your dress.
2. Bring walking shoes. We don’t want your wedding shoes getting dirty as we move around, especially if we will be taking pictures outside. I recommend you bring something easy to slip on and off so we can easily put on your wedding shoes in the shots where your feet will show.
3. Don’t forget your bouquet. Flowers are always beautiful and give you something to do with your hands! Your bouquet does not have to be as large or elaborate as your wedding day bouquet. You can ask your florist to make you a portrait bouquet or you can even make one yourself.
4. You will need a sheet or drop cloth to keep your dress clean. We will place it under your dress and try our best to keep your dress as clean as possible. If your dress does manage to get a bit dingy, make sure to schedule a cleaning before your wedding day.
5. Props are welcome. Aside from your bouquet, feel free to bring any other props that are special to you. A fun pair of shoes, a wrap, a headpiece, or even your pet. This is a great chance to play with your wedding attire!
6. Please eat a good, solid meal before your session. It is also a good idea to bring cold water bottles and plenty of healthy snacks. You want to be feeling great for your session and not being hungry is a big part of that! Also, we don’t want you fainting in a heavy dress in the sun. So, make sure you eat!
7. Remember to relax! Try to let go of any nerves or insecurities and enjoy this once-in-a-lifetime experience. Have fun, laugh, and enjoy this very special occasion.
Contact us and let us help your wedding dreams come true!